I don’t know if you’ve heard yet, but Aleisha is having a baby boy this month! So, of course, I knew I had to make something for the baby. I was so happy (and still am) with how soft and cozy the yarn from the Santa Hat Crochet Blanket felt, I had no choice but to use the same type again for this Quick & Easy Crochet Baby Blanket. Bernat’s Blanket Yarn is so easy to work with and I’m in love with how fast the blankets come together. This one only took me a day and a half to complete! Yep, that fast. In fact, this blanket would also be great for when you are short on time to make a baby gift. Sometimes procrastination gets the best of us, am I right? Let’s get started.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive compensation if you click on product or brand links and purchase anything. For more information, see our Disclosure Policy.
Quick & Easy Crochet Baby Blanket
- 6 Small Skeins Little Cosmos Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn
- 7 Small Skeins Vanilla Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn
- Size N 10.00mm Crochet Hook
(You can also find this yarn at Michael’s, Joann’s, and Walmart.)
Quick & Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Steps
1. Using the variegated yarn, chain 60, then one extra chain.
2. Turn and single crochet into the second chain from the end.
3. Single crochet the remaining row to the end. You should have 60 stitches. Be sure to count periodically or you will have a wonky shaped blanket.
4. Turn and chain 1, then single crochet into the second chain from the end and single crochet to the end again.
5. Repeat for eight rows.
6. Now join the vanilla yarn to the variegated yarn and single crochet four rows.
7. Crochet seven sections of eight rows of the variegated yarn and six sections of four rows of the vanilla yarn, alternating between colors. That’s a total of 80 rows.
8. When you get to the end of the last row of variegated yarn, join some vanilla yarn and crochet one more row.
9. When you get to the end, single crochet three stitches into the last stitch, making a corner.
10. Now, continue your single crochet around to the next edge.
11. Once you get to the end of that edge, single crochet three stitches into the last stitch like before, making a corner.
12. Repeat until you have crocheted all the way around the blanket.
13. Chain one and start a second row of single crochet that goes around the entire blanket. Repeat to make four border rows total. Remember to single crochet 3 stitches into every corner, for each of the rolls. If your corners seem to be rolling up, try make your corner stitches a little looser or add one more stitch.
14. Once you’re done, tie off the ends and tuck in any tails.
Finished size: 34” x 44.5”
That’s it! How fast was that!? With the combination of this Bernat Blanket yarn and the single crochet stitch, this blanket is a dream to work on and perfect for beginner crocheters, but a relaxing change of pace for more advanced ones. This design would look great with other color combos of course and not just the baby colors. In fact, you could just add a few more chains to your original row to widen it some and make yourself a nice lap blanket with just a few more skeins of yarn. Let us know if you make one, we’d love to see photos.
If you’re looking for other baby blanket ideas, be sure to check out our Self-Striping Blanket Yarn Trial + Free Pattern. It’s another blanket that can be easily made with different colors.
If you’d like to see gobs of other baby crochet project ideas, All Free Crochet is the motherlode for free patterns, so be sure to check them out.
Hi, I’m Marie. I’ve been obsessed with crafting for most of my life. I love to experiment with new crafting techniques as well as making the classics. Over the years and after three kids involved in various activities, I discovered my other passion, event planning. I love making my own decorations and styling rooms for parties. I’m at my happiest when I can combine crafts and party styling. It’s so much fun!