When I saw we were using romantic movies for our January Movie Monday Craft projects, I knew instantly that I wanted to make something from one of my favorite musicals. This Moulin Rouge Inspired Romantic Bohemian Handmade Card is the perfect way to showcase my favorite song from the movie, Come What May. For a musical, it actually has very few original songs. Don’t get me wrong, I love, love all of the mashups, remixes, and new arrangements for all of the pop and rock songs they use, but Come What May just sums up the meaning behind the whole movie perfectly and beautifully. It’s just so darn romantic! And with Valentine’s Day coming up, I thought this would be a great opportunity to make a different kind of card than those we usually see loaded with hearts and kissy lips.
Be sure to Save it on Pinterest if you want to make it later!
Moulin Rouge Inspired Romantic Bohemian Handmade Card
- Red Cardstock
- Red with Glitter Accent Paper
- Black Velvet Paper
- Gold Paisley Paper
- Gold Metallic Vellum
- Bohemian Heart Stamp & Die
- Black Ink
- Lacy Die
- Cuttlebug Die Cutting Machine
- Black Rhinestones
- Thick Gold Letters
- Gold Swirl Stickers
- Black Glitter Ribbon
- Cricut Edge to Edge Cartridge
- Clear Tacky Glue
- Paper Adhesive
- Foam 3D Dots
- Paper Trimmer
- Scoring Blade for Trimmer
*I found all of the paper and stickers at Hobby Lobby.
Moulin Rouge Inspired Romantic Bohemian Handmade Card Steps
1. Cut a 6-inch by 12-inch piece of red cardstock. Use the scoring blade at the 6-inch mark so the card will fold in half to make a 6″ x 6″ card.
2. Cut a 6-inch by 6-inch piece of the gold paisley paper.
3. Cut the Circle Doily Pattern Image on your Cricut using the red with glitter accent paper.
4. Cut a 6.25-inch by 2-inch piece of the black velvet paper. Run it through the Cuttlebug with the lacey die.
5. Cut a 2-inch by 2.5-inch piece of the gold vellum. Stamp the bohemian heart on to the vellum and let it dry completely. Carefully place the small heart die over the stamped image and run it through the Cuttlebug.
Sometimes it helps to use a small piece of masking or washi tape to keep the die in place centered over the stamped image.
6. Cut a 2.5-inch by 3-inch piece of black velvet paper. Run it through the Cuttlebug with the larger heart die.
7. Cut 3, 7-inch strips of the black glitter ribbon.
8. It’s time for the card assembly! Use paper adhesive to stick the gold paisley square to the front of the card.
9. Now stick the red doily image centered on top of that.
10. Take the black velvet lacy piece and adhere it to the top of the card.
11. Center and glue the gold letters onto the three strips of black velvet ribbon to spell the three words “come” “what” and “may.” Mine are already sticky, but I don’t trust it to hold onto the ribbon, so I used tacky glue.
12. Position the ribbon/ word strips at a slight angle on the front of the card. Glue the ribbon to the front of the card with the tacky glue. Glue Dots would work, too, but you need something strong. Trim off the extra ribbon that’s hanging over the edge.
13. Now it’s embellishment time! Think of all of the fancy can-can costumes from the movie and add glitter swirl stickers and rhinestones wherever you like.
14. Stick the stamped heart image to the front of the black velvet heart piece with the tacky glue, then use a couple of the 3D foam dots to stick that to the front of the card.
Whew! I won’t say “that’s it” this time, lol. It may have taken several steps to make this Moulin Rouge Inspired Romantic Bohemian Handmade Card but it was well worth it. I used black, red, and gold because those colors were used predominately throughout the movie and they just scream can-can and courtezan. I also wanted it to incorporate both the bohemian and Indian influences and the glitz and glam of the show. A flat card would have been too boring, so I had to make sure and make elements like the heart and especially the words pop off the card. What do you think? Does this card remind you of Moulin Rouge?
If you love making Handmade Cards and want a wonderful resource for card ideas, be sure to visit Favecrafts and see all of their beautiful card tutorials.
On the last (or fourth) Monday of each month, a group of bloggers participate in a #MovieMondayChallenge, hosted by C’mon Get Crafty! We decide on a topic, genre, or specific movie to use for inspiration and everyone gets free reign to create something wonderful!
This month’s challenge was. . . . “Romance! Everyone was allowed to choose their own favorite romantic film for this challenge.
Now let’s see what everyone else was inspired to create for this month’s #MovieMondayChallenge!! If you’d like to join our Facebook group, you can request an invite here.